How to use the Crime Map Viewer
The crime map viewer has been developed to assist you to quickly obtain information about the different types of crime in particular localities. You will be able to to see the crime statistics as for each police precinct in South Africa as recorded by the South African Police Service (SAPS).
The crime map viewer allows you to:
- Compare the different crime levels of police precincts for specific categories of violent and property crime
- Compare the annual changes of specific crime categories per year since 2003
- Annual recording period runs from 1 April to 31 March. For instance, the 2013 release year covers the period 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2013.
You can do this by:
- Type a specific address, suburb, city or province in the “find your address” option.
- You may zoom in or out to the level of detail you require.
- Choose the crime category for which you want information
- Choose the year for which you want information
- Click on the suburb or street to get a pop-up box of crime statistics for the precinct
To obtain specific statistics for each police precinct on the map that appears before you, simply click on it. To compare how crime levels have changed between years, choose a different year and click reload.
Previous report No evidence that plant concoction can cure Ebola
© Copyright Africa Check 2020. Read our republishing guidelines. You may reproduce this piece or content from it for the purpose of reporting and/or discussing news and current events. This is subject to: Crediting Africa Check in the byline, keeping all hyperlinks to the sources used and adding this sentence at the end of your publication: “This report was written by Africa Check, a non-partisan fact-checking organisation. View the original piece on their website", with a link back to this page.