Nigeria's inspector-general of police, Solomon Arase, told a parade of honour in Sokoto last month that 90,000 police officers have been “lost” to the insurgency since 2011. The claim is wrong. Researched by Ben Ezeamalu
- Spot Checks:
- Do 23 teenagers commit suicide every day in South Africa?
- City Press’ WRONG study fees table still doing the social media rounds
- Is Zambia ‘a nation of drunks’?
- Is South Africa’s murder rate in the top three globally?
The hardest part of fact-checking is finding sources of reliable data. Search below for links to data sources we have used in our research.
Print our useful flow-chart and stick it up where you can quickly refer to it when a deadline is pressing.
Africa Check was launched in South Africa in 2012. Assane Diagne, the editor of our new sister site based in Dakar, Senegal, explains why we are expanding to francophone West Africa.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South Africa
- South African Police Service