The governor of Bungoma county said he had ordered a market survey of the price of stainless steel wheelbarrows after the county bought 10 for more than KSh1 million. Not to worry, governor Ken Lusaka, Africa Check did it for you. Researched by Carlos Mureithi
- Spot Checks:
- The week that was: crime stats, the cost of corruption and pricey wheelbarrows
- Is South Africa’s murder rate in the top three globally?
- Africa Check is hiring: Fundraising and Business Development Manager, Johannesburg
- More than 90% of SA households believe tap water is safe to drink
This factsheet, prepared by the Institute for Security Studies, provides an overview of murder and robbery trends between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2015 as recorded by the South African Police Service.
Here’s help if you get confused by statistical terms such as confidence intervals, causation and absolute percentage increases.
Many civil society organisations will use South Africa’s soon-to-be-released crime statistics to inform their work. But the African Centre for Migration and Society won’t be able to, as there is no official data on the extent of xenophobic violence in the country.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South Africa
- South African Police Service
- World Health Organisation
- Boko Haram