The “male stubborn and chauvinistic attitude” accounted for 78.4% of traffic deaths in the first 19 days of December 2016, South Africa’s minister of transport claimed. How did she determine that? Researched by Gopolang Makou
- Spot Checks:
- South Africa does not have 1 million asylum seekers waiting to be processed
- The week that was: Nigeria’s butterflies, Zuma scrutinised & Malawians migrating to SA
- ‘No indication’ SA thieves are marking houses with dogs to snatch
- No, a child is not reported missing every 5 hours in SA
The hardest part of fact-checking is finding sources of reliable data. Search below for links to data sources we have used in our research.
In South Africa, fake news websites are mushrooming. How do you recognise a fake news story and what can you do to stop these websites? Anim van Wyk provides some tips.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South Africa
- suggested by reader
- World Health Organisation