South African artists claim that 3,600 rapes are committed every day in South Africa. However, their calculations and methodology are flawed. Researched by Kate Wilkinson
- Spot Checks:
- Hoax-alert: Image of BBC news story on Nigeria’s MMM finance network photoshopped
- The week that was: State of SA education, Nigeria hoax pic & public protector’s record
- South African pupils not ‘second worst in the world’ in maths & science
- SABC’s Hlaudi Motsoeneng wrong – former public protector did investigate white people
The hardest part of fact-checking is finding sources of reliable data. Search below for links to data sources we have used in our research.
In South Africa, fake news websites are mushrooming. How do you recognise a fake news story and what can you do to stop these websites? Anim van Wyk provides some tips.
While former South African president Nelson Mandela remains, perhaps, among the most quotable statesmen of our time, quotes are many times incorrectly attributed to him. Gopolang Makou rounded up a few such mistakes.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South Africa
- World Health Organisation
- suggested by reader