Former member of parliament, Andile Mngxitama, made several claims about race, poverty and inequality in South Africa in a recent article on behalf of the Black First Land First movement. Africa Check found three to be in the right ballpark, while two were incorrect. Researched by Kate Wilkinson
- Spot Checks:
- Is Andile Mngxitama’s ‘black formula’ to calculate white land ownership in SA correct?
- The week that was: literacy in Zimbabwe, child soldiers in Africa and race & equality in SA
- Does Zimbabwe have the highest literacy rate in Africa?
- Does Swaziland have the world’s 4th highest rape rate?
The United Nations has listed 29 parties in seven African countries that recruited and used children in armed conflict in 2014. How many children are currently involved and what is being done to end this practice?
Here’s help if you get confused by statistical terms such as confidence intervals, causation and absolute percentage increases.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South African Police Service
- South Africa
- World Health Organisation
- Boko Haram