A number of small studies have been conducted in African countries on the effect of menstruation on girls’ school attendance. But the situation across the continent remains unknown. Researched by Kate Wilkinson
- Spot Checks:
- YouTube video greatly overstates number of SA girls missing school
- SA ‘driest’ ranking, fact-checking code of principles & our awards finalists announced
- South Africa’s murder rate not up 4.9% as reported
- South Africa’s 2015/16 crime statistics – read our factsheet
The hardest part of fact-checking is finding sources of reliable data. Search below for links to data sources we have used in our research.
The massive movements of people, fueled by the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis, has put migration at the top of the global human rights agenda. This guide looks at how migration, migrants and refugees are defined in South Africa.
- Jacob Zuma
- Democratic Alliance
- sexual violence
- South Africa
- World Health Organisation
- suggested by reader
YouTube video claims 9mn 🇿🇦 girls aged 13-19 miss school due to menstruation. But SA only has 3.5mn girls that age! https://t.co/HsFf4W2…16:05, Monday 26 Sep